Estate Planning

At Farrell & Grochowski we have over forty years of experience in estate planning, elder law and estate administration.
Both Attorney Farrell and Attorney Grochowski hold LLM Degrees in Elder Law & Estate Planning from Western New England Law School. This is one of the few schools in the country to offer this master’s program.

Last Will and Testament

You have worked hard all your life for the assets you have. When you die, you want to ensure that your property goes to the people you have selected. Without a will, your property will go to whomever the State of Connecticut has dictated through intestacy laws. But a will allows you to establish who will receive your property. You will also select an executor, who will be in charge of making sure your assets are distributed according to your will.

What to consider when planning a will:

  1. Do you have specific things that you want to leave to people, such as jewelry?
  2. To whom would you choose to leave your estate? If you choose someone who predeceases you, where would you want their share to go?
  3. If you have minor children, who would you want to raise them and be in charge of their money and inheritance? At what age would you feel comfortable with your children receiving their inheritance outright, free of trust?
  4. Who would you want to serve as your executor/trix, the person who makes the filings with the probate court and distributes your assets according to the will?
Click here to fill out the Will Intake form

Credit Shelter Trust

The current exemption on federal estate tax is $12.06 million and the Connecticut estate tax is $9.1 million. Using a Credit Shelter Trust (CST) can protect the maximum amount of assets tax free.

Living Trusts

Trusts can help accomplish a variety of objectives. For a parent with a disabled child, a trust can supplement the child’s needs without disqualifying them for state benefits. For a couple with a vacation home in Florida, the trust can help avoid having to probate in both Florida and Connecticut. Since trust assets pass outside of probate, trusts can be used to avoid probate costs.

Power of Attorney

Through a power of attorney document, you can name a person to act for you if you are no longer able to do so. The person can perform many important tasks such as applying for benefits, doing banking, paying bills, and arranging health care.

We are committed to providing personal service to all of our clients.

Ready to Work with Farrell & Grochowski?
Request a Consultation